Harvest Update: August 4, 2016
In the coming weeks, we’ll be sharing regular vineyard and winery updates throughout harvest 2016, with some behind-the-scenes snapshots gathered from winemaker Alex Sokol Blosser and his vineyard team.
Alex Sokol Blosser’s Vineyard Report for August 4, 2016:
- With temperatures high above average in late spring, our estate vineyards experienced the earliest bud break and bloom on record, and we’ve been doing this since 1977.
- With a much cooler June, the process slowed a bit but we still should have the earliest start to harvest ever with a target date range of August 10th-15th for sparkling and by the 28th for our pinot noir.
- This July, the weather has been great with warm days and cool nights.
- Veraison began on July 19, so the grapes are still mostly green and just starting to get some sugar.
- Hot weather is on the horizon though with temperatures in the 90s predicted for much of August.